Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"The difference between an MSW student and a BSW student is that an MSW student is able to practice within a framework..." Alan McLuckie

One of my main questions trailing me as I started my masters was 'what am I doing, what am I knowing that a BSW student might not necessarily know or do'.  I often wrote this in my papers as I began reflection papers in my MSW degree.  When I started at the ability hub, I was doing phone screens and assessments that I thought a bsw student if trained for the same role would be able to do.  Further along I began to learn how my practice began to differ.

Self Reflection - on a regular basis-I began to naturally self reflect on my work with clients and my own practice of what I could do to make it better and more 'social work' like.  I began to practice in my own way and do things I believed a social worker should do such as exploring more of family dynamics.

I set out on a journey for myself and in between I have professors help guide me in what i was looking for.  I had professors give me tools such as how to start a narrative conversation and assessment tools that would be useful to me in the future to use with families.

Putting it in my "ticklet trunk" as mcLuckie would say from Dr. Dressup.  I miss Mr. Dressup.  I looked forward to when he drew and did crafts because I would always try and replicate it right after with my little brother following me everywhere.

I looked back at my work at a BSW level and realized that I have more control in practicum now.  I am juggling my own caseload and I don't really have anyone watching me except to check in on a weekly basis.  It's nice to have a clinical team to support the work that you do and bounce ideas off of each other.

Working in a non-profit agency compared to child welfare is so different.  There's more flexibility in the work that I do with families.  I can split my time between paperwork, meetings, and designing things for the ability hub.

Learning as a spoiled student:

I am in such a "spoiled" position compared to some of my other peers who are juggling family, children, and financial stability.  I am able to focus strictly on school and my studies.  I have a boyfriend who is a chef and makes me lunch everyday for me - whatever my heart desires pretty much.  I don't have to worry about being broke because even if I do reach that point - I have a net to catch me.  My sisters and parents always offer to fund me on a regular basis however I am determined to fund myself, pay for my car on my own while I am going through school and budget.  I often feel guilty of how good I have it in life right now.  This is the "unpacking the white knapsack" piece by peggy mcintosh who often comes up in papers that i write.  if we are not conscious of the privledges we hold, we were taught to not see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment