Saturday, October 18, 2014

Getting to the root of the problem, first CBT session monday!

Every week in McLuckie class, i learn a new tool to apply into my practicum placement and "practice" as you will.  This week, McLuckie said something that spoke true at my placement.  Clients with socialization issues, throw them in socialization classes - all of them.  Without getting down the the root of the problem.  We treat everyone the same but the fact is, not everyone is the same.  And I realized, that's what we were doing at the ability hub.  See autistic kids have themes that stick out all the time to me.  Socialization is a big one and all we do is throw them in these classes.  We refer them to resources without looking deeper into what they are looking for.

So I decided I'm going to try and get into the root of the problem with some narrative therapy tricks I've learned from Mishka Lysack and McLuckie.  The big circle that represents your life and circling within it, including problems - what makes up your life.  The chart of  bio, psyco, familial etc.

I love all the tools I'm learning, and on Monday I'm looking forward to applying some of these skills.  I'm nervous but I'm trying to do my homework as much as possible so that I can do a good session with families.

McLuckie also said something this last week too.  He said you can always control your time with clients.  Like if you were doing CBT, he actually said CBT which was funny - and it was your first time (ah! How did he know this?!?) you don't want to do it all in one day cause it'll be shitty sessions.  I know this.  And it makes sense.  You need to give yourself time to prep. and be ready.  3 days just isn't enough to spread things out but I'm hoping this week to come will help me learn, and even if I make mistakes - at least I stepped out of the box :)






No comments:

Post a Comment